I asked my husband what ingredients make a marriage great. He gave me his thoughts and I share them here. I agree that these are ingredients, a foundation, for a great marriage. Here is what he said (all are of equal importance):
- Openness – being willing to share, try new things, and willing to listen
- Honesty/Integrity – being authentic, truthful, admit when you are wrong, be true to self, be true to one another, be true to the partnership
- Commitment – be willing to do whatever it takes, always think of the other first, appreciate each other to the fullest
- Honor – each other, the partnership, and what we stand for
- Choose to love – for connection, knowing each other, appreciating each other, being in love, and sharing time together
- Communication – knowing when to shut up, listen fully, open 2-way dialogue, listen to each other, truly hear each other, acknowledge each other, admit when wrong and be humble about it while saying sorry
- Faith – in each other, in our beliefs, in each other’s beliefs, in our choices, and in each other’s choices
- Support – stand by each other’s goals and dreams, be able to say the hard things when necessary, be each other’s cheerleader and best friend forever (BFF)
I felt this was a good representation of what men want and need in a marriage. Women want these things too. And that’s why these are 8 ingredients for a great marriage.
What do you think?