How to Pick a Dating Site?
Picking a dating site nowadays is a risky business. Selecting the right dating site is certainly a challenge and must be taken seriously. I have always taken the stance of you pay for what you get and am not a proponent of ‘ free’ sites if you are looking for a serious long-term relationship and the love of your life.
To choose the right dating site, you must be clear about your objectives. You should consider the following in selecting the right site:
- Why do you want to join a dating site?
- What do you need to know in order to make an educated choice?
- Are you committed to follow the site’s recommendations, coaching, and process?
Why do you want to join a dating site?
Some people want to date recreation-ally, for fun while others want friendship. Some are more serious and want to find the love of their life. Be clear about your intentions by knowing what you are looking for.
- Are you looking for friendships without benefits? If so, are you willing to be upfront about your desire to just be friends?
- Are you dating for fun? If so, are you willing to be upfront about your desire to date several people for fun?
- Do you want to find the love of your life? If so, then I suggest you select a well known, credible, established site with a good reputation. Yes, you will end up shelling out some bucks for it but your safety is worth it!
What do you need to know in order to make an educated choice?
Many singles do not have clarity about what they expect from joining the site. They are unclear about the features and benefits that the site offers, they are unclear about the results they want to achieve and they do not know how to be honest and clear in their profiles.
- Research and compare the features of several dating sites to get familiar with what they offer. Make a list of the features that are important to you and list the site that offers those features.
- Study the testimonials on the site. If the site does not have several qualified testimonials or success stories, be cautious. Add your comments about the testimonials to your list of features so you know which sites had favorable success stories and what you liked about them.
- Conduct a search using Google, yahoo and other search engines about the dating site to see if you can find any negative feedback about the site.
- Does the site offer a trial membership? If so, take advantage of the trial on each site you are considering to get experience with how the site operates.
- Does the site offer advice, ongoing articles, and a step by step instructional guide on what you should do to maximize the benefits of the site?
- Add the fee structure to you list for each site so you know how each site works for their pricing.
- Finally, compare the features each site offers along with price and the success stories so that you can make an ‘educated’ choice.
Are you committed to follow the site’s recommendations, coaching, and process?
A credible dating site wants you to have a successful experience and will even have advisors who can help you write an effective profile based on your objectives. If the site does not have recommendations, advisors, and ongoing educational content to provide to their members, I would be cautious. Take advantage of their advisory services especially with creating your profile. Credible dating sites have conducted decades of market research, have tested the Singles markets and know how Singles have succeeded on their sites. Additional guidelines include going with the companies who are well known, who are credible, who charge for their services, who have experts on staff to help you, who have a clean business track record and results, and who have been in business for a while. Do your research, even if a friend referred you to a site and make an educated choice based on the best features and support for your needs.
Dr. Dar is a nationally recognized relationship success educator and coach. Her goal is to create peace in the world, one relationship at a time. She works with Singles who want to make the right choices and Couples who want sustainable, harmonious relationships. Contact her